Thursday, July 3, 2014

Punishing Pupusas



I'm convinced that people that say they have no regrets in life have far too many regrets to accept. Over the past six months of being in country, by far my greatest regret is not keeping a pupusa tally.

My two close friends have done this since day one, slowly but steadly advancing until hitting the 100 mark. Like a prisoner who has lost track of the years, I often wonder how many of these grease-disks from hell I have railed in total, being that of the two homes I've lived in, BOTH have been pupuserías. I guess I will never know.

However, I do know my personal best for one sitting has been four. Naturally, if I told this to any Salvadoran, they'd laugh and brag about the time at Tia Sole's the slammed 8....WITH CURTIDO* Y SALSA. I, on the other hand, immediately start hate myself upon surpassing the three-count. The only thing more remarkable than  the sheer amount of grease that a pupusa is capable of holding, is the sheer denial of Salvadorans as to how much grease is actually involved in the process. It is for this reason, and many, many others, that I no longer like to watch my food being prepared.

Apart from the obvious uses of grease in the pupusa making process, ie the frying, grease is used as the backbone of this dish. The most common pupusa is that of frijoles con queso. Salvadorans turn refried beans into deep-fried beans. On one occassion, I saw my host mother dump approximately a liter of corn oil in a medium sized pot of beans. A LITER.

As we all know, oil does bodly harm. Not only to the digestive system, but to your poor gringo fingers.

No one has ever eaten a pupusa like this, EVER:


Nor should you ever bee seen eating a pupusa like this, because fuck tools right?


Instead, you must punish your fingers by ripping this grease-covered, hell-pocket apart as quickly as you can, like so:


Despite all this pain and regret, I rarely miss my nightly appointment with my pupusas. Chicharron, revuelta con loroco, I can honestly say it's never hurt so good.

*(this is curtido)

No comments: